Halloween has passed and as the holiday season gets into full swing with sugar, increased stress, and more outings, the “cold and flu season” is on its way as well. More and more people are looking for natural, holistic ways to support their bodies during the winter beyond visiting their GPs and taking over the counter meds. Other than finding a good chiropractor and acupuncturist, a good naturopath is someone else you’ll want on your team.
What exactly is a Naturopath?
Naturopathic doctors are educated and trained in accredited naturopathic medical colleges, and they focus on natural remedies and self-healing. Naturopathy emphasizes the body’s ability to heal itself through methods such as herbal medicine, dietary changes, lifestyle adjustments, and various holistic practices. Naturopathic doctors often aim to treat the root causes of health issues and promote overall wellness.
If, for example, you have a lingering cough or flu-like symptoms, a naturopath might focus on the following:
- Herbal Remedies: Naturopathic practitioners may suggest herbal remedies like licorice root, marshmallow root, or thyme to soothe the throat and reduce coughing. Echinacea, elderberry, and ginger boost the immune system and can alleviate flu symptoms.
- Hydration: Staying well-hydrated by drinking warm fluids, warm broths, herbal teas, and water can help both a cough and flu.
- Nutrition: A naturopath might recommend dietary changes to support your immune system, such as consuming foods rich in vitamin C, zinc, selenium, and antioxidants.
- Lifestyle Modifications: Naturopaths can provide guidance on lifestyle adjustments including stress management, getting adequate sleep, and avoiding environmental toxins to aid in recovery.
- Essential oils: Inhaling steam with essential oils like eucalyptus or peppermint can alleviate congestion and ease coughing.
- Homeopathic Remedies: Some naturopaths use homeopathy to address coughs and the flu by matching symptoms with specific homeopathic remedies.
Remember, it’s essential to consult with a qualified naturopathic doctor or healthcare professional for personalized advice tailored to your specific condition. Each body is different, and therefore the journey to fully healing will also vary from person to person.